George Washington, known as the “father of his country,” was the first elected president of the United States Of America. Washington was of strong character and deeply respected by others for his leadership skills. For more than 200 years his legacy lives on and here are some of our favourite quotes to inspire success by George himself:
1. Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company.
2. Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence.
3. If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.
4. Friendship is a plant of slow growth and must undergo and withstand the shocks of adversity before it is entitled to the appellation.
5. I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.
6. To be prepared for war is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.
7. Observe good faith and justice toward all nations. Cultivate peace and harmony with all.
8. Liberty, when it begins to take root, is a plant of rapid growth.
9. Guard against the impostures of pretended patriotism.
10. It is better to offer no excuse than a bad one.
11. If we desire to avoid insult, we must be able to repel it; if we desire to secure peace, one of the most powerful instruments of our rising prosperity, it must be known, that we are at all times ready for War.
12. Few men have virtue to a withstand the highest bidder.
13. There can be no greater error than to expect, or calculate, upon real favors from nation to nation. It is an illusion which experience must cure, which a just pride ought to discard.
14. If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.
15. We should not look back unless it is to derive useful lessons from past errors, and for the purpose of profiting by dearly bought experience.