Just For Fun, Nutrition, Productivity

Here’s the Health Benefits of Your Daily Caffeine Fix

Joshua

If you’re anything like us here at Data Nerds, you can’t begin your day without a hefty dose of caffeine, and big shocker, we aren’t alone. According to USA Today, 83% of Americans drink at least one cup of coffee daily which, if you do the math, comes out to 587 Million cups per year. But what do these millions of cups of glorious black liquid do to our bodies everyday? You may know some basics about caffeine like it helps you stay awake and alert, can make you jittery if you have too much or give you withdrawals if you have too little. But, we’re willing to bet there are quite a few things you don’t know about your morning addiction, and here they are:


Health Benefits of Caffeine

Luckily, the news isn’t really bad at all and we can continue on our merry way with our daily cup-of-joe. But, if there’s anything we know about caffeine (or any drug) is that the key is moderation. A moderate dose can give us a great boost in productivity, focus and concentration, but too much and we can turn into a jittery, anxious mess. But here are some more benefits, just for good measure.

More Benefits of Caffeine

  • It can Boost your Metabolism

Caffeine is one of the few natural substances that can actually help your body burn fat. According to one study, it can boost your metabolic rate by up to 11%, and it specifically targets fat. This can, however, lose its effects over time and in people who consume a lot of caffeine.

  • It Makes You Happier & Smarter

Did you know that caffeine works in the same way as heroine and cocaine once ingested?  It’s true, and although it has a significantly different outcome, they both effect Dopamine activity. Dopamine (as stated above in the infographic) is out “happy” neurotransmitter and coffee encourages your brain to make more of it! But that’s not all! Caffeine also helps make you “smarter” by increasing and enhancing neuronal firing. This puts your brain on alert and increases your ability to focus and remember things.

  • You’re Less Likely to Develop Diseases

Recent studies have shown that daily consumption of caffeine can decrease the risk of developing certain diseases. For example, one study showed that avid coffee drinkers were 80% less likely to develop Parkinson’s Disease. Similarly, people who drank a regular two cups of coffee per day were 20% less likely to develop colon cancer, and the same amount decreased the chance of cirrhosis of the liver by 80%. Studies have also shown it helps with everyday ailments like headaches, asthma, cavity prevention and fatigue.

While caffeine isn’t just found in Coffee (other sources include Tea, Cola, Chocolate etc.), there are some added benefits from choosing to get your caffeine intake through coffee. Coffee contains a large amount of antioxidants, actually, it’s the most antioxidant rich food usually found in our western diet. Coffee also contains essential nutrients like Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Pantothenic Acid (Vitamin B5), Manganese, Potassium, Magnesium and Niacin (Vitamin B3).

So there you have it, even more reasons to drink your morning (afternoon, evening whatever floats your boat) coffee. Like you needed them in the first place…

Published by:

Joshua

Joshua

In 2010 I became infatuated with pay-per-click (PPC) marketing, in 2012 I decided to quit my job and joined the “Entrepreneur Club”. Fast forward a couple years and now we have Data Nerds. We specialize in internet marketing, growth hacking, direct response, web development and design. We are always hiring geeks to join our team in Kelowna, BC. Email me at josh@datanerds.com.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *